Time Management Tips From a Tardy Person

It's a good thing my husband or daughters don't read my blog for they would scoff at my attempts to offer time management tips. They would remind me of the times we rushed into church during the opening hymn, or Mom dropping kids off right before the schoolbell rang. I won't tell them that I'm often strolling into Tuesday night choir practice after the warm-ups...
     I do show up on time for many things, however, and I wish to share my secrets. Work backwards. That is not my secret, but somewhere on the Internet I read this, and when I apply it, I actually arrive on time. I might even have a few minutes to spare for a trip to the restroom.
     The principal works like this: you have somewhere to go later in the day. Get yourself ready for that before you do anything else. I will use Sunday mass as an example. I put out my clothes the night before and in the morning get ready before I begin doing anything else. These are the Sundays we get to mass on time. When I don't do that, I often find myself so engrossed in a project - such as painting - that I don't notice the time until it's five minutes before we need to leave. 
     I used to make fun of my husband for setting his work clothes out the night before. He is rarely late, so I guess he gets the last laugh! If you have a crazy day ahead, putting clothes and jewelry out the night before cuts a few extra minutes in the morning rush. I do this with my clothing, but also with items I'm taking with me for a conference or social gathering. If it's not valuable, I load it into the van the night before. It makes the next day's departure less hectic.
     Another tip I don't often follow is don't cram too much on your errand list. Because I write all day, I rarely get out unless I have an appointment. On those days I squeeze in as many trips as possible: Post Office, grocery store, dry cleaners, bank, etc. etc. As the day wanes on I get more impatient and less efficient. I can't do it all in one day. If the errands are not urgent they can be spaced out.
     Most people are familiar with these next time saving tips, and that is don't waste time on social media, and reserve email time for once a day. This can also be applied to answering your phone or returning messages. Replying to every email or phone message when they occur is about as efficient as trying to squeeze oil from an avocado pit with your hands. I have to resist the temptation to reply to every email that comes to me during the day! When I do, however, I find at least another 30 minutes!
     St. Therese of Lisieux talked about the little way. She used the term for ways to grow in holiness, but I also use it when trying to manage my time. There are instances when you don't have to do something all at once. Christmas decorating is one of those things (unless the relatives are coming the next day). I use the "little way" principal to bring out a few items each day. This relieves the pressure of having to get it all done at once. We also found that it's a neat way to celebrate Advent. Each little decoration is leading us closer to Christmas.
     My favorite and most efficient time saver is to make time for God. It's a paradox to be sure, but I find the more time I spend in prayer the more time I have during the day to complete my tasks. Also, prayer puts life in perspective. Sometimes I'm not going to finish my "to-do" list, but I took time to listen to my daughters or husband or to volunteer. I doubt God is going to look at all my completed lists and say, "Great job, Carol!" He will, however, examine my relationship with him and others while on earth.
     Thank you for taking your valuable time to read this. It's a limited commodity, but made more valuable when it's centered on God.


Just an update on my novel. First, thank you to all my family and friends that gave input on the book cover. I wanted electric waves or something more ugly and shocking because Catharine's journey is not a pleasure walk along the beach. When I searched for different waves, the ones I selected always had some copyright emblem stamped on them or a notice that the images could not be used if I planned to make money from them. I ended up looking through my Portugal photos and found ocean waves. I didn't want to give the impression the story took place near the ocean, but that was what I had. Though most people I queried did not choose the current book cover, all my daughters immediately gravitated to this one. This was the one I felt fit the story as well.

The book is on day 25 of the Waves Book Launch  and I would really appreciate if you take more of your valuable time to read it and vote! 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Women's Rights! Stand Up and Fight!

Housework Getting Done By Calling Customer Service