Frozen - Not the Movie, But My Soul

Last week's blog I felt inspired and close to God even though my family and I careened into Christmas with the stomach bug. When I arose out of the fog, I discovered my dog in a deteriorated state. It isn't uncommon for her to struggle a bit with her arthritis at this time of year, so I wasn't too concerned. When we returned from our short stint in Arkansas, however, her back legs refused to work. I called the Vet, but they couldn't get her in and wouldn't prescribe anything over the phone for pain. So, during the New Year's weekend, we watched her carefully, and Les carried her outside to use the bathroom. It was a pitiful sight watching her flop down into the snow.
     Daughter Elizabeth drove to Oshkosh to spend New Year's Eve with her college buddies. We had expected her to return the next day so she could join us in visiting Grandma K. Four o'clock New Years Day she called on Bridget's cell phone asking to stay longer...Let's just say that conversation and the ones that ensued after were not filled with a lot of Christian warmth. 
    It's bloody cold outside, taxes are due at the end of the month, frost nips at us in our pantry, laundry room and front porch, and our cars rebel at the crank of the ignition. The air is so dry I keep shocking myself when I touch something. Ouch! I want my dog's problem to go away and the bills to magically be paid! 
     The mood surfaced yesterday like the ugly Loch Ness Monster pushing itself from water's icy depths.  I went to the artic laundry room to deal with the mountain that grew in two weeks. Laundry soap was down to 1/4 cup. That amount might wash underwear, but it wasn't enough for Mount Everest. I texted my sleeping daughters with an ultimatum. 
     "Buy laundry detergent before going to your friends in the afternoon." 
     It provided a momentary sense of control, but it slipped away when no one bothered coming down the stairs volunteering to buy my laundry soap! Online I found temporary recipes for laundry detergent to get me started. It didn't scare away the monster growling in my soul. Combine that with the Vet visit and still being angry with my 19-year-old, and let's just say things were not pleasant yesterday morning.
     Even my inspirational quote from Dynamic Catholic did little to appease the beast. It's a beautiful quote by Mother Teresa and I felt it was very ironic.
"Let no one ever come to you without coming away better and happier."
     No one yesterday was going to come to me and leave feeling better.
     And it was growing like igneous rock from molten lava. I had a choice to make. Let the mood overtake me and wait for the fallout or focus on the things I could do and accomplish. First thing was to get on my treadmill and do my prayers. I first ranted for a good half hour to God. Then I prayed my formal prayers.
     I didn't instantly transform into Saint Carol, but the lurking brute slunk away.  Slowly I moved into the day with a shower, writing, laundry, and supper. My words were more positive to my family, and the day ended more optimistically than it had begun.
     My family and I are grateful the pressing sense of gloom lifted, but it made me wonder about people who can't shake life's crushing blows or even small disappointments like mine. It's easy to give quick and easy solutions - for me it was prayer and exercise - but for many, it's a scourge that needs careful attention. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, suicide is the tenth leading cause of death in America. It's the second leading cause of death for people ages 10 to 34. Aren't people in those age groups at the precipice of life's great journey? 
     For many un-diagnosed or untreated depression is the culprit. Some people don't want to admit that they or someone they love have a mental condition that needs treatment. Who wants to admit they have an illness that affects their behavior, especially when violent perpetrators are often described as mentally unstable? Furthermore, the treatment isn't always as simple as taking a pill - though for many it can be. 
    There are different articles on the Internet that help distinguish between clinical depression and just plain sadness. The most recent article by WebMd is pretty extensive. I was told by a therapist that if you're unable to function through the angst, then you probably need help. Please, get help. 

It's Not a Wonderful Life

     Another component I feel affects our minds is the state of our souls. A visible example was portrayed by Jimmy Stewart in the movie It's a Wonderful Life. True, it's a movie, but the image of George Bailey allowing himself to fall into despair by succumbing to bitterness as his dreams of travel and doing something important in life faded is something that happens to many. Often portrayed as a sentimental drama, it's actually a dark journey almost ending in suicide. George admits he's not a praying man, which I believe is the root of his problems. Fortunately for George, his wife, family, and friends prayed for him, which resulted in the miracle of being able to see what life would have been without him resulting in his will to live. Though George realizes the importance of friends, the movie also reveals that faith does play an important role in our mental status. The National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) also admits that faith and spirituality can have a positive influence on people with mental illness. If a person struggling with mental illness finds a welcoming community, there can be definite improvements in the person's condition. I believe this extends to all people. Strong faith can't guarantee life will be easy, but it can help carry you through those difficult times. Get on your knees and head to church.

Video Games, Visual Stimulation, and Lack of Physical Exertion

I don't play video games, but I've watched others play and have been shocked at the intensity they're played. Also, people are staring at their computers or phones absorbing so much stimulation. Furthermore, I'm surprised at how sedentary we've become. Where does all that excess energy go? How can we release it to help our minds (and souls)? I am not a doctor, but I feel there is some connection to staying glued to technology and neglecting our physical well-being to our mental health. It may not apply to everyone, but if you're stuck in an emotional rut and you're not exercising - even just a little - give it a try. It is not a panacea for everyone, but unless you try it at least three times a week for a month, don't tell me it doesn't work.

My prayers for you this 2018 is good health in mind, body and soul. Please pray for me so my soul thaws and stays connected with God.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Women's Rights! Stand Up and Fight!

Housework Getting Done By Calling Customer Service